Dec 16,2010 Update: The game has been approved and is available for sale. Here is the link.
While we were having a chat a couple of weeks back around the gaming trends and how iPad is making waves in the gaming, the question that struck all of us was that what it would be like to develop indian classic games for iPad.
Interesting thought! Now all of us play games which are westernized and it is sad to see that our kids do not even know about our own treasure. So, we decided to give it a try.
As a result, we short listed a few games and the criteria we had for selection are that
- It should be very unique and untried one by others
- It should not be there on the Apple Appstore
- Capable enough to keep a person locked up with the game for at least 30mts to an hour once started
- Since it is our first project, we did not want to complicated strategy games as we are not sure of the popularity and hence it has to be simple and yet provide immersive game play
- Should have an excellent graphics and better user experience
So, we concluded with a game called ‘Vimanam’ (it is a Tamil word and means ‘Plane’ ) as the layout was very different and it was long forgotten. Though we wanted to keep the game simple, the UI design took most of our time and coding ended up being complicated, mainly because, the direction of path for the players are in opposite direction and the conditions we had to handle. Nevertheless we enjoyed our time.
We started the development on Nov 20th and we spent nearly 100 person hours to develop the game. The first cut was ready by Nov 29th and people who had seen it really enjoyed the antique look and feel and found the game was quite interesting than they thought!
So, here we are presenting the ‘Vimanam’ version 1.0 today. It is submitted to the Appstore this morning and we are eagerly waiting for its appearance in the appstore.
Here are the screen shots
Just a quick poll: